Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Queen

You've seen the advertisements all week... Mothers Day.  "Give your mother something she would love"  Flowers, Jewelry... the list goes on and on.  I really hate how they commercialize holidays, taking away from the meaning of it.  Mother's day should be a day to honor your mother, to tell her how much she means to you.  You don't need material things to do that.  So this is one of the ways I can show my mother how much she means to me a 1000 miles away.

Dear momma,
Growing up I was always considered a "daddy's girl,"  but secretly looked up to you.  I'm guilty of not telling you enough how important you are to me, and how much I love you.  Sometimes words fail me, or I take for granted that you already know how I feel.  You are my rock and the person I strive to be like.  Having children of my own, makes me really appreciate all the sacrifices you've made for me and my sisters.

You are an amazing woman.  Full of love and strength.  I cannot remember a time when you were not by my side.  People say I am a fighter because I've been through cancer and survived.  To me you are the true fighter.  Staying with me and fighting right beside me.  Never giving up when the doctors just told you I was a "lazy" baby.  You knew something was wrong and because of your determination they caught that I had cancer.  To me without you, I wouldn't be here today.  You gave me the strength to endure all my back surgeries.  I remember after several of my surgeries, waking up from anesthesia and seeing you crying.  Dad saying that you were so upset seeing me in pain. I knew that you would trade places with me in a heartbeat if you could.  And for that I am grateful.  You have had to fight your own battle when you were diagnosed with breast cancer.  I was so scared, I couldn't imagine a life without you in it.  You however made chemo and radiation look effortless, even though I know it was no walk in the park.

You have sacrificed having a life outside of the home so that you could raise us.  The queen of the house, you ruled the house with compassion and strong values.  You've instilled wonderful life lessons that I won't soon forget.  When I am having a difficult day with the girls I stop and think about what you would do.  If that doesn't work, I call you and say "help" ;o)

So thank you!  Thank you for being you.  Thank you for being the best mother in the world.

I love you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment