Thursday, December 1, 2011

no hope for kids

Back in 2007, I thought there was no hope for children.  I just went through a devastating surgery that didn't give me the results I wanted.  I thought I would never have children.  You see because of the kyphoscoliosis my body is squished.  There is little room for my heart and lungs.  My lung capacity is only 30%.  Anyone in a medical field knows that that is bad.  However that's all I've ever known.  So my body has learned to adapt.

The doctors say if you have pulmonary hypertension you have a 50-50 chance of survival if you get pregnant.  Something about the extra blood flow that pregnancy creates causes your heart to work harder.  In my case my heart already works hard because of my smashed lungs, so pregnancy is like a double whammy.
The doctors advice:  don't get pregnant, cause most likely it will kill you!

Truthfully I never thought it possible to get pregnant anyways, because when you have cancer as a child the chemo does wicked stuff to your body which usually makes you infertile.

Boy was everyone wrong!

Right after my failed surgery in 2007, I got pregnant.  I amazed doctors with how well I tolerated the pregnancy.  I didn't need bed rest, my back barely hurt, and it didn't get hard to breathe until the 8th month.  I delivered a healthy baby girl prematurely on September 25, 2008.  She was 5lbs 12oz.    She was perfect, MaKena Mae. 

My miracle baby
.

But I didn't stop at just one, I ended up getting pregnant again.  And on November 18, 2010, a 6lbs 9oz baby girl was born.  Morgan Marie.  The light of my life.

.

I beat the odds once again.
Looking back at my life I realize how amazing it has been.  Yes there has been great suffering, but there has been great joys too.  That's what makes life grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment