Thursday, December 8, 2011

Scoliosis Surgery: Then and Now

I remember my first spinal fusion like it was yesterday, but realistically it was 21 years ago.  I was 7 years old, and I had severe kyphoscoliosis.  My surgeon wanted to wait as long as he could before he did the fusion but my spine was progressing way to fast.  He was only able to get minimal correction.  I was in the hospital for a month.  I wasn't able to get out of bed until my cast was made.  Thankfully I had wonderful family who stayed with me, and I had awesome roommates.  One memory stands out of my Uncle Doug playing goldfish with me and a little girl named Angel.  A memory so simple, stays with you for a lifetime.  Even though I was in a lot of pain, kids bounce back pretty quick.  When I finally got my cast and was able to get out of bed, I had to learn how to walk again.  The doctors say now, that they shouldn't have fused me that young, that it caused all kinds of problems.  Shoulda coulda woulda... hindsight and all that...  It is, what it is.

Times have definitely changed though.  I remember the last spinal fusion I had 4 years ago.  They get you out of bed the very next day.  Gone is the time where they made you stay immobile.  I can see their logic, they want you up and moving, helping the healing process, and to make sure you don't get clots.  But man, if you've ever had major back surgery you would know, that just getting up and walking the next day is no simple task.  

I can honestly say neither surgeries helped, my very first, or last... heck even the ones in the middle.  Im unique and my body is very tempermental.  I live with the fact that maybe it's just not my time to have a "normal" back.

Who knows, in another 21 years, the surgeries they do now will probably be a thing of the past.  We can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, I just started my own blog as well.
    the-disabledmom.blogspot.com. My you've been through a lot. I too went to Shriners Hospital for many years and spent many months. I even attended school in the hospital as well. They too waited to fuse my back as well. They tried to wait until I grew some before they did it. That's why I always wondered why my arms and legs seems longer than they should. I'll talk to you more later, right now I have a neck pain which is giving me a headache. The joys of scholiosis and kyphosis. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry it took so long to respond. I have been away from my computer. I had been experiencing a lot of back pain so it left me unmotivated.. However I am feeling a lot better. How are you? Shriners Hospital is a wonderful place who do wonderful work. I know my arms and legs are longer than my torso. My spine doc said it's because I was suppose to be alot taller, a good 5 in. Well I hope you are feeling better.. I also get headaches from the pain/tension in my neck

      Delete